A hand-held router is a fairly complex electric tool that can have tremendous functionality. It is not very simple to determine the choice of this tool – for today in specialized stores this tool is presented in a large assortment, each model of which differs both in capabilities and in price. How not to make a mistake in the choice? How to buy the right tool and not overpay money? We will try to find the answers to these questions. In the current publication from the site stroisovety.org we will analyze all the features of this tool, thus we will answer the question of how to choose a manual milling cutter. And start with the main parameters of this tool.
How to choose a manual milling cutter: basic selection criteria
Agree, it would not be entirely correct to recommend any particular model of a manual milling machine. As they say, for one good, for another, death. Therefore, we confine ourselves to the usual recommendations, based on which you can make the right choice.
- The first thing that needs to be paid attention, when approaching the question, what kind of milling machine is chosen, this is its capacity. A low-power tool will not be able to handle deep grooves or remove all unnecessary material in one pass. Here the conclusion suggests itself – the more the power of the hand-held router, the better. This is perhaps the most important indicator of the instrument in question.
- Secondly, it’s accuracy. If you purchase a router for professional work, and not for home use, then deviations in size within half a millimeter – this is already a lot. For information on the accuracy of this tool, see the instructions.
- Thirdly, this is a bundle. As a rule, all low-cost models intended for domestic use are equipped with a small set of low-quality cutters, a guide and an inconvenient protruding nozzle for connecting a vacuum cleaner. If we talk about a quality professional tool, it must necessarily include good cutters for the router, and high-precision tools. The cost of this only increases, but what can you do, but you get serious equipment that can be used even in industrial conditions.
- Fourth, these are the so-called options, which often include the ability to regulate the engine speed and smooth start. Changing the speed of rotation is required to work with different materials, and without a smooth start-up, the milling cutter will not last long. In addition, the lack of a smooth start leads to a strong jerk when working with large milling cutters, which is not only uncomfortable, but also dangerous.
- An important point is the method of changing the cutting tool. In some models, the clamping of the milling cutters is carried out using keys with nuts, while in others the motor shaft is equipped with a special clamp. The milling machine equipped with a locking mechanism is much more practical in operation, especially if you frequently have to change the cutting tool.
- The so-called elevator of this machine is of great importance in the work of a manual router – it is fully responsible for the depth of cutting and for its stability and accuracy.